Frequently Asked Questions
Ask a question
The doctorportal Learning Team is here to assist you
Please read our FAQs for a quick answer. If you can’t find the answer to your question, please email: email@example.com for assistance.
- What does CPD stand for?
- What is doctorportal Learning?
- What does doctorportal Learning offer me?
- I am not vocationally registered, or training in a specialty. Can I use the CPD Tracker?
- How do I sign up to doctorportal Learning?
- What do I need to do when I log in to doctorportal Learning for the first time?
- How do I add the MBA or my specialty college to my Learning Profile?
- I’m a specialist. How do I set up 'My Learning Profile to reflect my specialty CPD program?
- I accidentally listed the wrong college on my learning profile. How can I correct this?
- I want to keep an annual record of the number of hours that I engage in learning. Can the CPD Tracker assist me?
- When completing my Learning Profile, what do I enter in the rest of the fields?
- I’ve accidentally deleted 'My Learning Profile'. What should I do?
- Where can I browse and search for learning?
- Can I earn CPD points by completing doctorportal Learning modules?
- Which specialty colleges are doctorportal Learning modules accredited with?
- What happens if I register, but don't complete a module by the 'Available until' date?
- Can I save learning modules that I want to complete later?
- Can I obtain a refund for online learning that I have commenced?
- Will my completed learning be reported to my specialty college?
- How do I upload evidence of my CPD activities?
- Can I upload learning activities from my smartphone or tablet?
- I’m trying to upload some evidence to my activity record, but it’s not appearing. What should I do?
- How do I view my CPD achievements within a reporting period?
- How can I view 'My CPD Reports'?
- Does doctorportal Learning automatically report to AHPRA or my specialty college at the end of the reporting period?
- Is the CPD report in the right format for an audit?
- Who is responsible for managing my CPD if I use the CPD Tracker?
- Does the CPD Tracker print a ‘Certificate of Compliance’?
- How do I subscribe to the doctorportal Learning newsletter?
- I’m a medical education provider who delivers face-to-face courses, events and/or webinars. Can I list my medical education activity on your CPD Learning catalogue?
"Continuing professional development (CPD) is how health practitioners maintain, improve and broaden their knowledge, expertise and competence, and develop the personal and professional qualities required throughout their professional lives. Health practitioners who are engaged in any form of practice are required to participate regularly in CPD that is relevant to their scope of practice in order to maintain, develop, update and enhance their knowledge, skills and performance to help them deliver appropriate and safe care."
Reference: AHPRA website, 2021
doctorportal Learning is a CPD learning management system specifically designed for medical practitioners and other healthcare professionals. doctorportal Learning offers accredited, peer-reviewed medical learning and effortless CPD tracking.
- nominate your learning focus topics following completion of your CPD plan
- access online medical education from specialty topics to medical ethics, compliance and communication skills
- recommence your online learning where you left off
- register for medical conferences, seminars and workshops
- effortlessly track your learning against the MBA or specialty college CPD rules
- upload and save externally completed learning evidence to My CPD Reports
- monitor your CPD progress at a glance from My Dashboard
- print or save CPD reports that aggregate your CPD learning and automatically calculate CPD points or hours to meet your (multiple) specialty or non-specialty needs
- download the MBA or your specialty college CPD requirements for the current reporting period.
Absolutely. Please ensure ‘Medical Board of Australia – CPD’ is selected in My Learning Profile, so you track your CPD activities against the MBA’s requirements.
You can print or download your CPD report at the end of the reporting cycle should you need to demonstrate your CPD activities to the Medical Board of Australia (MBA). The format of the report meets the MBA CPD reporting requirements.
Please follow these steps to sign up to doctorportal Learning.
To access doctorportal Learning, you just need to login on this website using your AMA Federal account. You can then create your My Learning Profile and access a wide range of medical education and self-manage your CPD using our CPD Tracker.
- Click the Login button.
- Use your Federal ama.com.au username and password to open doctorportal Learning.
- Complete your My Learning Profile.
As an AMA Member your CPD Tracker is free, and paid learning is discounted.
You can also access doctorportal Learning from My AMA Dashboard and clicking View My CPD Dashboard once you have logged in to the Federal AMA website.
- Click the Sign up button
- Please enter your details into the form on the right-hand side of the page.
- Check your email account, open the email from doctorportal Learning and click on the link in the email to validate your email address.
- Once you have clicked on the link, you should receive a Welcome email and can now login to your doctorportal Learning account.
You now have free access to the CPD Tracker. However, if you register for paid learning you will pay the full learning fee.
Please note, if you are an AMA Member and you sign-up as a non-member, the system will lock you out.
Before you can commence learning or tracking, you need to create your My Learning Profile.
Select My Profession and save as Medical Practitioner. This ensures the MBA and specialty colleges are available to select for tracking your CPD and engaging in learning relevant to your scope of practice. Under My Medical Colleges, click the drop-down arrow.
- Select your 'college' from the drop-down list
- Click Add college
- Scroll down the page and click Save.
You can add the MBA and/or as many specialty colleges as you like to your CPD Tracker one at a time. My Dashboard will reflect your CPD progress against each as you upload your CPD learning evidence to your nominated CPD rule.
8. I’m a specialist. How do I set up 'My Learning Profile' to reflect my specialty college CPD program?
- Sign up or login to your doctorportal Learning account
- Click the My Learning Profile menu option
- Select the college(s) from the Select College drop-down list
- Click Add College on the right-hand side. Please note, it doesn’t work if you miss this step
Click Save at the bottom of the page. These steps ensure the CPD Tracker can track learning according to your specialty college accreditation requirements.
The saved college(s) should now appear on My Dashboard. There is a useful Tour feature in the top right-hand corner of the screen that shows you the features of the site.
To complete CPD activities, please browse the catalogue by clicking the CPD Learning menu. Simply click on a module to enrol. You can choose to commence the activity now or save it for later.
You can edit the medical colleges in My Learning Profile at any time. To remove incorrectly selected colleges, follow these steps.
- Click My Learning Profile
- Next to the college you wish to remove select the Delete option. A pop-up message will ask you to confirm
- Click Confirm.
Your incorrectly added college has now been removed. However, any record of completed learning tracked to the incorrect college will be deleted. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance BEFORE deleting a college if you are unsure.
10. I want to keep an annual record of the number of hours that I engage in learning. Can the CPD Tracker assist me?
When setting up My Learning Profile be sure to select the Medical Board of Australia (MBA) as one of your medical colleges. Adding the MBA to your profile will enable you to view a report detailing the number of hours logged for each learning activity. You can then view or print the report to keep track of your CPD activity hours.
Please note, you can add the MBA to My Learning Profile anytime, but it will not log completed hours of learning retrospectively.
Firstly, you need to add your Career Stage and AHPRA MED: number. While the remaining fields in My Learning Profile are not mandatory, where your college requires a report with your membership number, it can be useful to add this information. It will assist your college to process your CPD record. Where a college has a multi-year cycle based on a membership date, it can also be useful to add this information.
You can also enter up to three Learning Focus topics following completion of your CPD Plan and update these at any time.
Don’t worry, we can help. Please contact us by emailing: email@example.com for assistance.
Please click CPD Learning on the top menu to browse and search learning activities. You can narrow your search using the filters.
Log in then identify a module of interest by clicking the CPD Learning menu. As you register for a module, please remember to nominate the specialty college rule that supports your scope of practice if you are not tracking your learning against the MBA CPD requirements.
Some doctorportal Learning modules are accredited with one or more specialty colleges. Check the module information page to learn more.
If you have registered to a module with an Available until date set, but you don't complete the learning before that date, the module will no longer be accessible in your My CPD Learning - My Enrolments beyond the expiry date. You must complete the learning before it expires.
If the module is completed before the set Available until date, the module will appear in your My CPD Learning - My Completions list. You can view or print your certificate anytime, but you will no longer be able to Review the module after the Available until date.
doctorportal Learning enables you to enrol in a learning module and save it for later. Click My Enrolments to start learning.
If you commence an online learning module but do not complete it, you are not eligible for a refund.
If an activity has accredited CPD points/hours and you are a member of that accrediting college, then yes. Your CPD activity completions will be sent to your medical college by the doctorportal Learning Team.
- You must have correctly entered your specialty college membership number for each college in your My Learning Profile for this to be actioned on your behalf
- This process can take up to four weeks to complete, depending on the specialty college process.
To upload evidence of an external learning activity within a nominated reporting period (e.g. a Certificate of Attendance from an event) click My CPD Reports then the +Upload Activity button.
Choose the Current or Previous reporting period (if available). To reveal all activity types for your 'college', expand the menu by clicking on the arrow next to the 'college' name. Complete the fields indicated as mandatory.
You will be asked to choose a file for upload – this is where you can upload evidence of learning such as a Certificate of Attendance. After upload, click Save. This evidence will now be collated into your CPD report and reflected in your odometer located on My Dashboard. Please note, you can only upload .JPG and .PDF files as evidence of learning, and multiple files can be uploaded for each activity.
Yes, you can. Just follow the same easy steps for: How do I upload evidence of my CPD activities?
22. I’m trying to upload some evidence to my activity record, but it’s not appearing. What should I do?
You can only upload .PDF documents and .JPG image files. Modifiable documents including Microsoft Word or TXT files are unable to be uploaded as evidence. There are many freeware programs that will allow you to convert documents into PDF prior to uploading them.
You can quickly view your achievements within a reporting period.
- Click My Dashboard
- Click the View Achievements button under the Mandatory Activity Summary odometer
- Select the Cycle Period then Search if more than one cycle is available
- Scroll down the page to see what CPD requirements you have addressed and others that you may still need to focus on.
If you think of an activity that you have completed that addresses a CPD requirement, click Log Another Activity. You can save your activity and upload the evidence at a later time if you don't have it at hand.
You can create reports that collate your recorded learning activities and evidence, by clicking on My CPD Reports in the menu. Click View Report next to the report you wish to access. At the bottom of the report, simply click Print to print your report and evidence, or click Download Report for your report and evidence to be stored as a ZIP file for your convenience.
25. Does doctorportal Learning automatically report to the MBA or my specialty college at the end of the reporting period?
No. This is your responsibility as an Australian registered medical practitioner.
The CPD Tracker automatically collates your CPD points or hours and learning evidence (e.g. Certificate of Completion) for your convenience in the CPD report template. You can use these reports for reporting your specialty college(s) or to AHPRA / Medical Board of Australia (MBA). The CPD reports are formatted to meet your reporting obligations.
Every Australian medical practitioner is individually responsible for undertaking and managing their own continuing professional development (CPD). doctorportal Learning offers a range of learning opportunities, including accredited modules that attract CPD. The CPD Tracker makes it easy to manage your ongoing reporting obligations.
By signing up, you agree that the CPD Tracker is intended to be used for support and guidance, but is not responsible for your CPD or reporting obligations. Click here to learn more about medical practitioner CPD obligations.
If you are using the CPD Tracker, it will print a summary report detailing your complete CPD record listed against your specialty college or Medical Board of Australia (MBA) requirements, which you can submit to your college, or directly to AHPRA / MBA. The report can either be printed with all evidence attached, or it can be downloaded as a .ZIP file that will contain all individual files, including the summary report of your activities.
To access the reporting functions, please select My CPD Reports from the menu, then View Reports. The print or download options are available at the bottom of your summary report page.
Want to receive the doctorportal Learning newsletter? Click here to subscribe now.
30. I’m a medical education provider who delivers face-to-face courses, events and/or webinars. Can I list my medical education activity on your CPD Learning catalogue?
doctorportal Learning delivers high-quality medical CPD, and can assist learning providers with content development services and accreditation advice. Listing your medical education in our catalogue provides a high quality, credible context for your education, ensuring it reaches a wide audience of medical professionals.
doctorportal Learning only lists high quality, evidence-based and/or accredited CPD learning. All medical education listed in the catalogue must first be approved by doctorportal Learning. To learn more about our offerings, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org